Monday, February 18, 2019

Let's get outside!

The goal:  The intent of this blog is to provide details of planned, monthly weekend outdoor getaways near east-central Illinois.  Activities may be as brief as 3-4 hours....or as long as 2 days....but they won't be too processed or micromanaged.  The goal is to have fun and learn a bit at the same time.  Personally, my initial intent was to build a stronger outdoor relationship with my daughter, but then I figured, why not share the opportunity with others?!  We'd love for you to join us!  





The schedule: This year, I've planned weekend activities once a month from March through November! My 10 year-old daughter and I will be participating every month, and approximately 7 days prior to each activity, I will be posting details about locations, logistics, schedules, and necessities for each trip.

March 23     Navigating and Map ReadingOakwood, IL
April27     Canoe Trip 2.5 milesSidney, IL
May18     Bird Migration/Owl ObservationAllerton Park
June22     Solstice Overnight Hike IndianaShades St. Park, IN
July20     Fossil Hunting/Geode HuntingIndiana or Iowa
August17     Kickapoo Rail-Trail RideUrbana-St.Joseph, IL
September21     Equinox Canoe Trip 1-2 DayOakwood or Sugar Creek
October19     Starved Rock 1 Long DayOttawa, IL
November23     Day Hike Lodge Park GeocachingLodge Park, Monticello, IL

The scoop:  I have no intention of missing these events, but our participation may change due to other short-term/urgent schedule conflicts.  It happens.  However, prior to each trip, I intent to post enough information that anyone else can certainly adventure out to the sites and participate.  Trips in June, July and September are unavoidably/intentionally overnight trips.  We're super excited about those.  All others can easily be completed between dawn and dusk.  Feel free to email me at jthomason11@gmail.com if you have any questions or suggestions!


No comments:

Post a Comment